Who am I?

My photo
I'm very eclectic, some may call me weird... I love to read, I love my nook, I love my cook HAHA Just kidding! I wish I had one! I love to have fun,and laugh, shopping, dancing and listening to music,is what keeps me entertained. I love babies and am scared to death of having one, I love to be creative and although I I know so many plans I wish and hope to have, I still feel like I need to find who I am. This blog may just help me to discover that.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Blogs: Helping The World to Become a Global Village. One Blogger at a Time!


My opinions about a global village and being asked to pack up and move for a one in a life time opportunity:
In my opinion, living in a global village is inevitable.  “Advances in telecommunication and transportation technology have changed our sense of distance and of place” (Trenholm, 2008,p.348), as discussed in the text, today’s world is ever evolving at a rapid pace.  I stated in the organizational communication post that in today’s times people want options and I state it again people want as many options as possible. And when all the local options have been explored what do we do? We reach father to discover options foreign and new to us.
 This may sound like I am contradicting myself, in many ways, but here it goes. The text also states that the world is shrinking because of how easily it has become to attain the once unattainable. However, there is so much out there to see and experience.  Therefore, I think that living in a global village is a great benefit.  Who knows what can be found or what advancements can be accomplished?!  
On the other hand at this point in my life I don’t know how I would feel about packing up and moving to a different country for several years especially with a roommate that I wouldn’t know. I surely would not embrace the situation easily, and be highly uncomfortable because it is an entirely new situation; it is the unknown.  My answer would depend on what country it is because I would want to know if I were going to a third world country or something that is a bit more developed. I would want to know what I am getting myself into before I agree to it.  In addition, I would want to make sure that I can communicate and that there are no language barriers in the way.
Perhaps if I were single and had no family I would be more apt to the situation given that I knew I would be ok.  If the position told me that all I needed to do was travel to the other country but I could still live with my family in America then I would do that with out a doubt as well.  I think I feel this way because I have heard my fair share of horror stories in regards to some countries.  It would depend on the job, country, and length of position.
However, technologies such as blogs are assisting with issues like these. Not not only can I blog about meeting people and classmates around the world but I can see them via their profile pictures and post's.  Blogs are helping the world become a global village one blogger at a time. 
 Reference
Trenholm, S. (2008). Thinking Through Communication
 Boston: Pearson 

No comments: